Posted By Seamus Barton
5 Direct Mailing Tips For B2B Businesses
Direct mailing offers many benefits for businesses, including the increased accuracy in pinpointing your target audience and high retention and response rates. It is one of the most effective ways of promoting your brand to new clients while retaining loyalty among existing ones.
Businesses are increasingly realizing the impact of incorporating direct mail marketing in their B2B lead generation campaigns. Here are some tips to stay ahead of your competitors when using direct mailing for B2B marketing:
- Choose the right mailers Statistics show that standard letters have the highest response rate because they can be easily personalized for each client. Postcards, on the other hand, are very economical. They also arouse enough interest to make the recipient take further action, such as calling your office or visiting your website. Catalogues or self-mailers may work better for some businesses.
- Be boldly creative and provide value Think outside-the-box and use a truly unique medium, such as a message in a bottle. The objective should be making your mail piece stand out from the crowd and deliver real value that augments your brand message. Besides using an alternative medium, consider using curated content or creative techniques, such as folds, die-cuts or punch-outs that will be useful to the recipient.
- Make the mailer lumpy Just as postcards arouse interest, recipients tend to be curious about what is inside a lumpy mailer. Adding an object to your mailer can increase the open rate to nearly 100 per cent. But to fully maximize on the opportunity, your message should be well crafted so it’s relevant, personal, and captivating. Open with a proposition to grasp the recipient’s attention, rather than building up to it.
- Include product samplesIncluding a product sample adds more value to your mailer, as you give the recipient a trial tool. It also encourages the recipient to respond as a courtesy for your efforts, or at least provide useful feedback you can use to improve your business. Either way, product samples offer great return on investment (ROI) for direct mailing.
- Set realistic goals When drafting your mailer, focus on the kind of response you expect from the recipient, and make it as easy as possible for them to respond. When you put yourself in the recipient’s position, it should be clear what is expected of you. If the next steps are not apparent from your direct mail piece, change the message to avoid any confusion.
The average response rate for direct mailing is about 4.5 per cent, compared to electronic mailing at only 0.12 per cent. The key to a successful campaign is getting the recipient interested in opening your mail piece and taking action – visiting your website, calling your office, placing an order, etc. These tips can help to increase the response rate and ROI of your direct mail marketing campaign.
Interested in adding direct mail marketing to your advertising mix? Please call our Toronto mailing house at 1-866-486-0423. Troi spells success, one letter at a time!