Posted By Seamus Barton
Creative Design Tips For Your Direct Mail Campaign
With many businesses turning to direct mail marketing to increase their business reach, it is time that you set yourself apart by piquing your recipient’s interest in your message. The objective should not be just getting your product into the hands of your audience, but getting your message across.
Here are some ideas to make your envelope, parcel, or other mail piece stand out:
- Exciting envelope designIf your mail piece looks as boring as every other item in the box, it will possibly be discarded before it is even read. Try to make your envelope appear more valuable and important than the others by using a padded envelope if your budget allows it. This is particularly important if the recipient has an assistant to sort their mail.
- Switch to 3D It is hard to ignore a parcel or box that is delivered to your doorstep. Though this method is a bit expensive, it guarantees that your message will get across. Besides parcels and boxes, you can include an unusually shaped item in your envelope to make it bulge and get the recipient curious to find out what is inside.
- Personalize Every standard direct mail sales letter starts with “Dear Valued Prospect.” It is the most basic and courteous salutation for a general audience, but it does not make the recipient feel targeted. Instead, give your direct mail a personal touch by using the recipient’s’ name, choosing a font that seems handwritten, or signing the letters personally. You could also use personalized URLs to get better responses.
- Use an eye-catching designAs the recipient sifts through their mail, you can capture their attention with a unique mail piece with an intelligent design, good branding, and clear messaging. Use a coloured envelope, take advantage of the space beneath the postage to include a teaser, or use targeted fonts and colours to encourage the recipient to open the mail.
- Highlight keywords and include a clear call to actionAs you focus your efforts on getting your mail noticed, don’t forget to emphasize the importance of following up on the mail as soon as possible. Highlight words like “free,” “prize,” “sale,” or “discount” with appropriate formatting and include a call to action (CTA) to get the recipient to take immediate action. The CTA could be “Visit Our Website,” or “Schedule an Appointment,” or “Mail Your Donation Today.” Combining keywords with the CTA creates a sense of urgency that prompts response.
Although these strategies work for many businesses, it is still important to test different ideas and fine-tune them to fit your business and improve your direct mail marketing results.
Interested in adding direct mail marketing to your advertising mix? Please call our Toronto mailing house at 1-866-486-0423. Troi spells success, one letter at a time!