Posted By Seamus Barton
The Importance Of Personalization In Direct Mail AdvertisingPersonalization is not a new concept in marketing. From receiving and greeting customers at your storefront to including the recipient’s name in your email newsletter salutation, personalization creates a sense of familiarity between the seller and buyer, improves customer experience, and strengthens the brand/consumer relationship. The consumer feels valued. Personalization in direct mailing goes beyond addressing your consumers by their first name. Tangible mail pieces allow marketers to use their creativity to personalize every aspect of the mailer, from the graphics and lettering to the offer itself. But this only works if you put some effort in creating quality mailing lists that contain personal details from your current customers and prospects, as opposed to non-detailed purchased lists. A study by the USPS found that direct mail recipients who have purchased from the sender company have an 18.4% response rate, compared to only 4% of mail received from unknown businesses. That is how important targeted marketing is. Now, consider creating custom mail pieces while taking into account the recipient’s location, purchase history, marital status, age, and other personal customer data. Personalized direct mailing allows you to communicate directly to the recipient, appealing to their unique touch points. Here are some other reasons to use personalized direct mail advertising:
- Better Targeting With access to personal data, you will be in a position to better target your message to each recipient – household size, household age, fun and travel activities, shopping patterns, and other personal information.
- Consumers Are More Receptive Different studies have found that consumers tend to pay more attention to personalized mail pieces when compared to other marketing media because it makes them feel valuable.
- Highly Relevant People are naturally inclined to pay attention to things that are relevant and meaningful. Personalization allows you to narrow down your message to address the unique interests of the recipients. And with proper timing, you have a better chance of getting a favourable response.
- Better Response Considering that recipients are more likely to read and remember a mail piece that appeals to them, there is usually a higher response rate for personalized direct mailing than any form of general marketing.
- Superior Customer Experience Personalization removes the clutter and minimizes the risk of information overload. This in turn makes it easier for the recipient to process the information and use it for decision making.