Posted By Seamus Barton
14 Unique and Creative Direct Mail Campaigns to Inspire You
Direct mail campaigns are the perfect opportunity to show off some creativity. Artwork, format, sizes, and shapes can vary greatly from one direct mailer to the next. Designers have the opportunity to flex their creativity and think outside of the box to create a direct mailer that stands out from the rest. People receive multiple flyers, postcards, and other advertisements in the mail each day, and unfortunately, many of them are discarded due to irrelevance.
However, you can prevent your direct mail pieces from being thrown into the garbage if they can catch their recipients’ attention. Using unique and attractive designs for your direct mail is eye-catching, improves your brand awareness, and maximizes your return on investment.
If you’re ready to design the perfect direct mail campaign but need a little boost, we’re here to share 14 unique and creative ideas for your direct mail marketing campaign to help inspire you.
Use Folded Advertisements or Gift Packs
Source: Troi Mailing Services
There is no end to the types of shapes, textures, and designs you can use when designing your direct mailer. Use your flyer’s purpose — the product, service, event, or business that it is being prepared for — as inspiration and incorporate the theme into your mailer. Take a classic piece of cardstock and modify some of its properties. For example:
- A folding candle holder to raise awareness for Earth day
- A postcard message that only appears when run underwater
- A direct mailer printed on thicker cardstock and folded into a helmet to advertise e-bikes,
- Skipping the concept of cardstock and sending a gift pack containing free giveaways, relevant items, and content cards
- Shoe boxes in the shape of a stadium for all types of sportswear with the addition of sounds, such as a crowd cheering, when the package is opened
- Die cut direct mailers (shaped) to advertise food such as a paper pizza or a folded sandwich to advertise restaurants and food brands
- Using a glamorous envelope that’s shiny, bright, colourful, or decorated so that your recipients won’t be able to resist taking a peek inside
- Using an envelope with a window or using a clear envelope so that your recipients can have a taste of what to expect inside of the envelope
- Adding an urgent message on your envelope such as ‘open immediately’ or ‘limited time offer’ so that your recipients will be inclined to peek inside
- Using a bubble envelope which could hold a 3-D object can be very enticing for your recipients and more likely that it will be opened
- Sending newsletters, which is a great way to remain in contact with your potential customers regularly, and provide a lot of information in one convenient way
- Utilizing the data you have about your recipients to include their name, city, and the date of their most recent purchase so that the direct mailer has more value to them
- An invitation card that appears like a wedding or other event invites and entices your recipients to open it and take a look inside. You can use fancy calligraphy to make the exterior of the card very attractive
- Send a greeting, holiday, or birthday card to your recipients, offering them a special promotional offer or gift to celebrate these special occasions
Get Creative with your Envelopes
Source: Troi Mailing Services
If your direct mailer comes in an envelope, it is usually the first thing that your recipients will come in contact with. An eye-catching and unique envelope shape and design can be a great way to make your direct mailer stand out from the rest. There are several great ways that you can boost your envelopes, including:
Personalized Letters, Newsletters, Greeting Cards, and Invitations
Source: Troi Mailing Services
In our digital era, personalized physical mail holds much value, and recipients are much more likely to open the mail and read through the contents if it includes their name or other personal information. By sending personalized items such as cards and letters, you can improve your direct mailer’s chances of being opened and responded to. Some of these ideas include:
The Benefits of Creative Direct Mail Campaigns
A myriad of direct mail designs and styles can be utilized to impress your recipients and increase the likelihood that they will open up your direct mailer. From unique shapes and folding patterns to gift packs, humorous headlines, and exciting finishings, direct mail advertising offers designers the opportunity to show off their creativity and think outside of the box; or inside the mailbox.
Many unique and creative direct mail marketing campaigns have not only raised brand awareness and revenue but have been able to garner popularity on various social media platforms. Achieving this level of exposure is certainly indicative of a job well done, and a direct mailer that is fun and useful might even be worth holding onto.
The success of your direct mail campaign is dependent on a few factors, including your targeted mailing list, your call to action, any promotional offers, and your design. So don’t hold back when designing your direct mail marketing and use all your knowledge and resources to create a highly relevant and thought-provoking direct mail advertisement.
For more unique and creative direct mail strategies to help inspire you, call Troi Mailing Services in Canada at 1(866) 486-9350 or contact us here.
- Direct Mail Campaign
- Direct Mail Flyer
- Direct Mail Marketing
- Direct Mailing
- Direct Marketing
- Drone Delivery
- Email Marketing
- Fulfillment Services
- General Category
- Graphic Design Trends
- Industry & Culture
- Magazine Marketing
- Mail Campaign
- Mailing Service
- Mortgage Companies
- Omnichannel Marketing
- Postcard Marketing
- Presentation Folder
- Print Campaign
- Restaurant Marketing
- Variable Imaging