Posted By Seamus Barton
5 Of The Best Direct Mailing Tactics For Small Business
One of the biggest differences between running a successful business and struggling to keep your business afloat is your marketing strategy. Unfortunately, many entrepreneurs focus on daily marketing execution, like sending more advertising mail, optimizing a landing page, building a website, sending email, and so on, without assessing the effectiveness of these tactics so they can improve on them.
While the objective of marketing is maximizing exposure, you also need to choose a strategy with the best ROI. Direct mail marketing can help you achieve that, but you need to get past the sea of irrelevant mail, credit card offers, and flyers before you can get your audience excited about your products or services.
Here are some ideas to make your direct mail campaign more effective:
- Add value for your usersYour objective should be to keep your mail relevant for as long as possible and keep it away from the trash bin. Your mailers should contain more content than just your business info, such as a New Year’s resolution sheet, emergency numbers in your area, or some other content that will entice consumers to hold onto the mailer for a bit longer.
- Open with your value propositionKeep in mind that your consumers will likely be going through a huge pile of mail, sorting through them fast and discarding anything that doesn’t seem important. To address the short attention spans, put the most important and enticing piece of information at the beginning. If the consumer is courteous enough to look at your mailer, give him/her a reason to consider keeping it or going through it to find out more.
- Give it some bulkThe biggest challenge with direct mail is getting your envelope opened. Various surveys have revealed that envelopes with a lumpy item inside have nearly 100 per cent chance of being opened, as they pique the curiosity of the receiver. Depending on your business and industry, your next objective will be to identify something relevant, personal, and interesting to entice the receiver to engage with your piece. You could even include a promotional item.
- Include product samplesThere is no better way to add value to your marketing campaign than giving your consumer a product sample. As with the previous point, adding something to your paper mail increases its chances of being viewed by the receiver. A product sample allows the potential consumer to try out your product, and then use the information in the mail to order more if they like it.
- Make mailers creativeConsumers won’t feel special or motivated to consider your business if they consider your efforts as mere advertising. Rather than aiming to send as many mailers as possible, you should focus on sending quality direct mail. This includes finding creative ways to send your message so it doesn’t feel like something that has been mass-mailed. Customize the message, include promotional items or product samples, use alternative mediums rather than paper, use a stamp as opposed to metered mail, and seek to add value for your audience.
Finally, consider partnering with other businesses in your area. You will be able to reach more people, make your mail meaningful, and capitalize on the GTA mailing service.