Posted By Seamus Barton
5 Common Postcard Marketing Mistakes
Postcards are a great way to attract new business, inform your target market of new offers or to retain customer loyalty. This form of direct mailing is cost-effective and doesn’t look like a traditional ad. Done correctly, a postcard marketing campaign can be personalized and effectively communicate a point to the reader.
However, there are common mistakes marketers and business owners make in their postcard campaigns.
- Improper targetingBefore you can craft your postcard, you need to understand who’s going to be receiving it. Your target market should have needs that align with your products or services. You’ll need to break down your demographic by location, interests, age and so on. Keep track of your current or past customers in order to see patterns that would help you to determine who should receive your postcard campaign.
- Bad copyThe way you craft your postcard will ultimately determine it’s success. Keep your message short and clear, but not boring. You want to keep the reader interested in what you’re saying and to read the full card. Include whatever unique factor you have that separates you from competitors, and why this person could use your products or services. Lastly, ensure you include contact information.
- Not testing firstYou’ll want to conduct a small test on your postcard campaign to ensure they arrive on time and look how you’d like them too. You can send out a variety of postcards to better see which has the best response rate. You can then use your results to create your official postcard campaign.
- Boring cardA postcard direct mailing campaign is a great opportunity to get creative. Use vibrant colours and high quality photos or logos to peak your customer’s interest. Whichever design you choose, ensure it looks professional.
- No follow upIn order to know if your campaign has been successful, it’s important to track your results. Use the the number of responses, the number of new customers, or leads to track your postcard campaign. If any areas are in need of improvement, you can make adjustments for your next campaign.
A postcard direct mailing campaign is an effective route to gain the interest of new and current customers. Ensuring you put in the necessary measures to create a strong overall postcard, you’re sure to find success.
Interested in adding direct mail marketing to your advertising mix? Please call our Toronto mailing house at 1-866-486-0423. Troi spells success, one letter at a time!